Tuesday, March 20, 2012

One Year In The Books :-)

On March 19th, 2012, Patrick and I celebrated our one year wedding anniversary :-) Wow, did that year FLY! Often times throughout the year we've been told "The first year is the hardest year, if you can make it through that first year, you can make it through anything." Honestly, if that was the hard part, than the rest of our lives together should be a walk in the park because we had a wonderful year! I'm surprised it wasn't tougher, living together for the first time, and in a new city with no family and few friends...it could have been a recipe for disaster...but in this year I've learned that wherever we are together is my home. Good or bad, as long as we're together we can get through it!

Living together it's hard to pull off surprises for each other...I had been working on Patrick's anniversary gift late at night while Patrick was sleeping, and had planned to put the finishing touches on it on our anniversary while Patrick was working out. Much to my surprise Patrick surprised me at midnight with my gift...he told me he had a "snack" for us and needed our Wilton Armetale love birds dish for it...when I went to grab it from the china cabinet I found a box and a card sitting inside. Here is the homemade card from my love...he makes the best cards! 
And what was in the box you ask?! Try another wedding band to complete my engagement ring!!!!! So much for the "paper" we were supposed to give each other for year one! He told me he had it since he purchased my wedding band and didn't want to hold onto it any longer lol! Him holding onto it for a year shocks me...Patrick is all about "do you want this gift early" while I'm the complete opposite and like to make the actual occasion special with gifts. Here's my wedding ring all complete...he did such a beautiful job with it all! 

My gift to Patrick wasn't quite so glamorous, but I thought it was thoughtful...I framed one of our wedding photos and wrote the lyrics to our wedding song on the surrounding mat...thanks pinterest for the creative idea :-)

Patrick and I decided to do something that we've never done together to celebrate our special day...we went horseback riding! Patrick grew up with horses so he had been riding before, me however, I had never been. I was a little nervous as they brought out my horse, Buck. They told me not to be scared by the name - haha! Buck is an old pro and is the most requested horse at the stable because he is so good with beginner riders. Here's me and Buck!

Patrick got placed with Patch...an intermediate horse who came trotting over to us with hay in his mouth - haha! I couldn't help but think "what a match made in heaven" - lol! Then as we got going Patch stopped to take care of some business - lol - and then I really thought they were two peas in a pod! But, Patch was much lazier then my hubs. Patch was very slow moving and temperamental. When our instructor tried to get him going faster Patch kicked her horse! Kinda scary to watch! Here's Patrick and Patch...

The ride was beautiful! We went into the woods and over some creeks. It was kinda muddy though and apparently horses dislike mud. They would much rather brush up against trees and bushes then walk through the mud...which got me in a little bit of trouble...on our way home I swatted a bug off my neck which Patrick identified as a tick!!!! Fortunately I got it off before it attached and we didn't find any others when we got home. Patrick kept singing me the Brad Paisley song "I wanna check you for ticks" haha!

I was about to become a full-blown cowgirl up until the tick incident...guess I'm better off as I am...we did have a great time though :-)

What would the evening of March 19th be without another wardrobe malfunction?! I asked Patrick to help me out and iron my new shirt for me...well the iron was too hot and he cinched the fabric! Like last year, I decided to not let the unexpected get me down. I wore my new shirt and strategically held my clutch over the wrinkle when standing...and nobody could tell a thing while I was sitting. I don't know what it is about the evening of March 19th! What are the chances that two years in a row I'd have a wardrobe malfunction?!?!?!?!

We did dinner at Stoney River, one of our favorite restaurants in Nashville. It was so yummy!

After we had a makeshift wedding cake for dessert since our cake is still in our freezer in Pittsburgh! I was able to pack the decorations, but the cake, not so much! Our wedding cake kicked this makeshift cakes butt...so not as yummy as our cake but we had fun none the less ;-)

The traditional wedding gift for year one is a clock so Patrick and I are going to make one once we move into our new house and know what color scheme we want to use. We have a neat idea for it, so I'll share a little tutorial with y'all once we make it. 

Year one was so memorable for us...I can't wait to see what God has in store for us for year two! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment